Saturday, December 15, 2012

Medieval and Modern Acre Equivalents


I've been  going through documents and websites, trying to reconcile the different values I've seen given for measurements of land, both historically and within different areas of the same place, such as the formula that a hide of land might contain 30-160 acres. I know there is a lot of variability to acres and hides and what they consisted of, but for game purpose, I've created this table that allows you to compare not only historical measurements but also some modern ones from various cultures.



One of the common formulas is "120 Old Acres = 30 Modern Acres". But which "Old Acre"? I'm still not entirely clear, but this should help, though I'm pretty sure I'm going to wind up just fudging for anything I do, and picking a modern acre total that I feel is fitting, probably 40 acres.

Any thoughts for anyone else out there? Clarifications? Questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment